DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Blues Guitarists
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:19 pm
Posts: 119
I completely disagree Rory is 90% rock. His best known songs are the heavier more up-tempo songs which usually are rock, but his albums are loaded with acoustic tunes. A while ago I used to be more into hard rock and I only started appreciating his acoustic tunes when I started appreciating the blues, it was only then I realized he was trying to sound like those pre-war folk blues artists. And he pulls it off pretty well sometimes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Blues Guitarists
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 13905
Awesome to see Bloom and Green above Winter.
But I still dont think Lee and Trower should be on here. I think they are both bluesy, but not strictly blues guitarists. There's too much recklessness in their playing for them to be considered blues.

And Rick, what about Danny Kirwan?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Blues Guitarists
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:19 pm
Posts: 119
Victim Of Changes wrote:
Awesome to see Bloom and Green above Winter.
But I still dont think Lee and Trower should be on here. I think they are both bluesy, but not strictly blues guitarists. There's too much recklessness in their playing for them to be considered blues.

And Rick, what about Danny Kirwan?


I disagree about Lee. Sure he plays fast a lot of the time but so is Buddy Guy and the material on the first TYA albums is most definitely blues. Alvin Lee overplays sometimes, I wish he'd hold a note a little longer than half a second, but I still get a bluesy feeling from his playing. He just doesn't always seem to know when to hold back, but he's still a great guitarist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Blues Guitarists
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:53 am
Posts: 1027
Not sure what speed or loudness etc. has got to do with anything

Jeff Healey, Walter Trout and Johnny Winter all crack out a lot of fast loud songs, but they are blues players, plain and simple. And in my mind so is Rory. I have 5 or 6 albums and saw him live and I just cant see how anyone could not call him a blues player.

As a matter of interest, if you think Rory is not a blues player, then what definitions of the 'blues' are you using to come to that decision.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Blues Guitarists
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:16 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 pm
Posts: 539
Victim Of Changes wrote:
And Rick, what about Danny Kirwan?


Well I've always enjoyed his playing from a personal viewpoint and Kiln House/Future Games
still get playing time at home and of course Jigsaw Puzzle Blues is my fav from Danny but I've had him on the more great list at the bottom but I think that's the best I can do considering all factors. BTW...his story is a sad one what with being homeless etc etc. You should read about him.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Blues Guitarists
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:19 pm
Posts: 119
Rick wrote:
Victim Of Changes wrote:
And Rick, what about Danny Kirwan?


Well I've always enjoyed his playing from a personal viewpoint and Kiln House/Future Games
still get playing time at home and of course Jigsaw Puzzle Blues is my fav from Danny but I've had him on the more great list at the bottom but I think that's the best I can do considering all factors. BTW...his story is a sad one what with being homeless etc etc. You should read about him.


Weren't all of the first 3 Mac guitarists homeless at some point? I remember reading about Green. Not sure about Spencer but I do know he joined the Family. Saw a documentary about that cult once and a lot of the members supposedly molested their own children. Dunno if Spencer is still part of the group though but it was the reason why he left in the first place. There sure seem to be a few tragedies among the Fleetwood Mac members.

Is there any way to tell what parts on the album are Green's or Kirwan's? I always assumed it was Green whenever I heard lead guitar but I understand that Kirwan played a lot of it too?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Blues Guitarists
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:00 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 pm
Posts: 539
Doctor_Pik_Jr wrote:
Rick wrote:
Victim Of Changes wrote:
And Rick, what about Danny Kirwan?


Well I've always enjoyed his playing from a personal viewpoint and Kiln House/Future Games
still get playing time at home and of course Jigsaw Puzzle Blues is my fav from Danny but I've had him on the more great list at the bottom but I think that's the best I can do considering all factors. BTW...his story is a sad one what with being homeless etc etc. You should read about him.


Is there any way to tell what parts on the album are Green's or Kirwan's? I always assumed it was Green whenever I heard lead guitar but I understand that Kirwan played a lot of it too?


From Wiki:
Kirwan's first recorded work with the band was on the huge instrumental hit single "Albatross". Green later stated that, "I would never have done "Albatross" if it wasn't for Danny. I would never have had a number one hit record."[2] The B-side of the single was Kirwan's first published tune, the Django Reinhardt-inspired instrumental "Jigsaw Puzzle Blues". This was an old clarinet piece that Kirwan had worked out on guitar for himself and Green to play. But Green remembered, "I couldn't do it properly... My style wasn't all that satisfactory to Danny, but his style wasn't all that satisfactory to me." So Kirwan played all the guitar parts himself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Blues Guitarists
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 13905
Doctor_Pik_Jr wrote:
Victim Of Changes wrote:
Awesome to see Bloom and Green above Winter.
But I still dont think Lee and Trower should be on here. I think they are both bluesy, but not strictly blues guitarists. There's too much recklessness in their playing for them to be considered blues.

And Rick, what about Danny Kirwan?


I disagree about Lee. Sure he plays fast a lot of the time but so is Buddy Guy and the material on the first TYA albums is most definitely blues. Alvin Lee overplays sometimes, I wish he'd hold a note a little longer than half a second, but I still get a bluesy feeling from his playing. He just doesn't always seem to know when to hold back, but he's still a great guitarist.


I disagree. I think that if you took Alvin's bluesiest work, and showed it to someone like B.B. King or Buddy Guy, they would laugh in your face for calling him a blues guitarist. He's rock all the way. "Getting a bluesy vibe" from his playing isn't enough to put him on a list of greatest blues players.
He has virtually no understanding of the rudiments of blues guitar - accentuations, timing, pauses between notes, etc. He's a speed-freak and plays on pure adrenaline. Which sure as HELL isn't a bad thing, but he just isn't blues to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Blues Guitarists
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:06 pm
Posts: 7
I knew who B.B. King was before I got into blues. He was rated #3 on Rolling Stones 100 greatest guitarists, he made string bending the norm for guitar playing, and influenced most major guitarist that are alive or were alive after him. Tbone is good, but not very well known. I never really heard anything by him where the guitar jumped out like BB did. Listen to How Blue Can You Get from Cook Jail and then place him at #1. Also, he can still play as good at 86 so that counts for something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Blues Guitarists
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:53 am
Posts: 1027
"When I heard T-Bone Walker play the electric guitar I had to have one."- B.B. King


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Blues Guitarists
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:09 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 4701
Location: http://thesportingview-kes.blogspot.com/
Really, really enjoying Ronnie Earl's newest record, Rick. The updated take on Skyman blows the first version out of the water.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Blues Guitarists
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:01 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:43 am
Posts: 4515
nick, i forgot to reply to your last message. thanks for the link. but, i can't say i'm any bigger a fan of his after that listen. (though, i love the tune, of course)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Blues Guitarists
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:55 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 4701
Location: http://thesportingview-kes.blogspot.com/
That's quite all right, George.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Blues Guitarists
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:53 am
Posts: 1027
Nick-ola wrote:
That's quite all right, George.



DJ would have been proud of the boys today nick !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Blues Guitarists
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:41 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 4701
Location: http://thesportingview-kes.blogspot.com/
The Seeker wrote:
Nick-ola wrote:
That's quite all right, George.



DJ would have been proud of the boys today nick !


Definitely! Must turn the screw tomorrow!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:

DigitalDreamDoor.com   

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page