DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Blues Guitarists
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:45 pm 

I completely disagree Rory is 90% rock. His best known songs are the heavier more up-tempo songs which usually are rock, but his albums are loaded with acoustic tunes. A while ago I used to be more into hard rock and I only started appreciating his acoustic tunes when I started appreciating the blues, it was only then I realized he was trying to sound like those pre-war folk blues artists. And he pulls it off pretty well sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:35 pm 

Awesome to see Bloom and Green above Winter.
But I still dont think Lee and Trower should be on here. I think they are both bluesy, but not strictly blues guitarists. There's too much recklessness in their playing for them to be considered blues.

And Rick, what about Danny Kirwan?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:43 am 

Victim Of Changes wrote:
But I still dont think Lee and Trower should be on here. I think they are both bluesy, but not strictly blues guitarists. There's too much recklessness in their playing for them to be considered blues.

I disagree about Lee. Sure he plays fast a lot of the time but so is Buddy Guy and the material on the first TYA albums is most definitely blues. Alvin Lee overplays sometimes, I wish he'd hold a note a little longer than half a second, but I still get a bluesy feeling from his playing. He just doesn't always seem to know when to hold back, but he's still a great guitarist.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:17 pm 

Not sure what speed or loudness etc. has got to do with anything

Jeff Healey, Walter Trout and Johnny Winter all crack out a lot of fast loud songs, but they are blues players, plain and simple. And in my mind so is Rory. I have 5 or 6 albums and saw him live and I just cant see how anyone could not call him a blues player.

As a matter of interest, if you think Rory is not a blues player, then what definitions of the 'blues' are you using to come to that decision.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:16 pm 

Victim Of Changes wrote:

Well I've always enjoyed his playing from a personal viewpoint and Kiln House/Future Games
still get playing time at home and of course Jigsaw Puzzle Blues is my fav from Danny but I've had him on the more great list at the bottom but I think that's the best I can do considering all factors. BTW...his story is a sad one what with being homeless etc etc. You should read about him.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:23 pm 

Rick wrote:
Victim Of Changes wrote:

Well I've always enjoyed his playing from a personal viewpoint and Kiln House/Future Games
still get playing time at home and of course Jigsaw Puzzle Blues is my fav from Danny but I've had him on the more great list at the bottom but I think that's the best I can do considering all factors. BTW...his story is a sad one what with being homeless etc etc. You should read about him.

Weren't all of the first 3 Mac guitarists homeless at some point? I remember reading about Green. Not sure about Spencer but I do know he joined the Family. Saw a documentary about that cult once and a lot of the members supposedly molested their own children. Dunno if Spencer is still part of the group though but it was the reason why he left in the first place. There sure seem to be a few tragedies among the Fleetwood Mac members.

Is there any way to tell what parts on the album are Green's or Kirwan's? I always assumed it was Green whenever I heard lead guitar but I understand that Kirwan played a lot of it too?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:00 am 

Doctor_Pik_Jr wrote:
Rick wrote:
Victim Of Changes wrote:

Is there any way to tell what parts on the album are Green's or Kirwan's? I always assumed it was Green whenever I heard lead guitar but I understand that Kirwan played a lot of it too?

From Wiki:
Kirwan's first recorded work with the band was on the huge instrumental hit single "Albatross". Green later stated that, "I would never have done "Albatross" if it wasn't for Danny. I would never have had a number one hit record."[2] The B-side of the single was Kirwan's first published tune, the Django Reinhardt-inspired instrumental "Jigsaw Puzzle Blues". This was an old clarinet piece that Kirwan had worked out on guitar for himself and Green to play. But Green remembered, "I couldn't do it properly... My style wasn't all that satisfactory to Danny, but his style wasn't all that satisfactory to me." So Kirwan played all the guitar parts himself.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:00 pm 

Doctor_Pik_Jr wrote:
Victim Of Changes wrote:

I disagree about Lee. Sure he plays fast a lot of the time but so is Buddy Guy and the material on the first TYA albums is most definitely blues. Alvin Lee overplays sometimes, I wish he'd hold a note a little longer than half a second, but I still get a bluesy feeling from his playing. He just doesn't always seem to know when to hold back, but he's still a great guitarist.

I disagree. I think that if you took Alvin's bluesiest work, and showed it to someone like B.B. King or Buddy Guy, they would laugh in your face for calling him a blues guitarist. He's rock all the way. "Getting a bluesy vibe" from his playing isn't enough to put him on a list of greatest blues players.
He has virtually no understanding of the rudiments of blues guitar - accentuations, timing, pauses between notes, etc. He's a speed-freak and plays on pure adrenaline. Which sure as HELL isn't a bad thing, but he just isn't blues to me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:06 am 

I knew who B.B. King was before I got into blues. He was rated #3 on Rolling Stones 100 greatest guitarists, he made string bending the norm for guitar playing, and influenced most major guitarist that are alive or were alive after him. Tbone is good, but not very well known. I never really heard anything by him where the guitar jumped out like BB did. Listen to How Blue Can You Get from Cook Jail and then place him at #1. Also, he can still play as good at 86 so that counts for something.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:33 am 

"When I heard T-Bone Walker play the electric guitar I had to have one."- B.B. King

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:09 pm 

Really, really enjoying Ronnie Earl's newest record, Rick. The updated take on Skyman blows the first version out of the water.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:01 am 

nick, i forgot to reply to your last message. thanks for the link. but, i can't say i'm any bigger a fan of his after that listen. (though, i love the tune, of course)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:55 am 

That's quite all right, George.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:34 am 

Nick-ola wrote:

DJ would have been proud of the boys today nick !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:41 pm 

The Seeker wrote:
Nick-ola wrote:

DJ would have been proud of the boys today nick !

Definitely! Must turn the screw tomorrow!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next