It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 962 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 65  Next
 Post subject: Casual Thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:20 am 

For guitar discussions that don't belong in any of the other threads.

Post subject: Re: Casual Thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:21 pm 

Oh my, I've been totally overwhelmed by Alex Hutchings' astonishing abilities. I didn't think it was possible in the post-Govan era for someone to come along and blow our minds with searing electric guitaring that has a totally unique sound! With his combination of a delicate touch, a seemingly boundless well of tonal variations, and chops that seem to know no limits, Hutchings is quickly becoming one of my current favourite guitarists.

Even over pretty anonymous backing tracks, he's able to breathe so much life into them that you just sit there mesmerized by the playing. He's one of the guys that I watch and think: "Why didn't I hear about this guy before?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:53 pm 

i can't quite summon the enthusiasm you have for his playing, but it is very, very impressive, indeed. i'd like to hear his own compositions, or just anything with stronger compositional sense (i've noticed that modal tunes have become the easy way out for modern technical guitarists; 99% of the time it bores me no end)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:57 pm 

Can we get the guitar videos thread back up when you fellows get a chance? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:38 pm 

George wrote:
i can't quite summon the enthusiasm you have for his playing, but it is very, very impressive, indeed. i'd like to hear his own compositions, or just anything with stronger compositional sense (i've noticed that modal tunes have become the easy way out for modern technical guitarists; 99% of the time it bores me no end)

Yes, I can relate to that. It was for that reason I had a hard time getting into his playing when I first came across his videos. I was high on Govan at the time, being around the time I actually met the guy, and my ears weren't really ready for Alex's quite different approach.

Then, about a month ago, I was watching some random video of his(the first vid I linked to), and it just clicked. His touch is sublime, he's definitely one of those guys who could refrain from playing a single speedy lick ever again and still make me pay attention. I hope to see an album from him in the near future.

http://www.myspace.com/alexhutchingscomposer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:26 pm 

Hutchings is awesome, something about his tone that irks me a bit but otherwise hes another great emerging fusion/rock player. Hopefully he develops his song writing skills, fusion guitarists (and guitar virtuosos in general) sometimes end up writing songs which play out more like modal backing tracks.

New guys to be aware of :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:37 pm 

Oooh, that's so awesome you mentioned Martin. He's my teacher, we're doing lessons through Skype. Rarely have I seen someone develop their musicianship as fast as he has, and in such wonderful ways. He's a guy who knows exactly what he wants, and what he needs to work on to get there, and I admire that so much. Great guy, I'm gonna recommend that you check out his album once it's out, the little I've heard from it is very positive indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:39 pm 

Thats awesome mate, ive been a fan of him for a while. I'll definitely be getting his album when it comes out, i just ordered Rick Graham's the other day.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:09 pm 

Hehe well I knew Luther Vandross had a long list of backing singer credits, but didn't know this included Roy Buchanan's Street Called Straight album :o
Anyway, enjoying a lot of Roy lately.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:02 pm 

I just bought this:

Erotic Cakes transcribed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:37 pm 

shit the whole album? :surprised:

brb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:43 pm 

Not the whole thing, only the pre-written parts. The solos are always improvised, so they're left out on purpose, but all the parts that Guthrie plays every night are present. It's a good booklet, and the backing tracks are really great. I mean, these are the actual tracks from the album, and they sound GREAT.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:22 pm 

couldn't really ask for more could ya? :smile:

I wish I could get into that man's brain. Why in the world is he talking so goddam long to release another album? Sometimes I question if he is able to outdo himself, I mean, Erotic Cakes was done in a decade so, naturally, it's a best-of. The best of the best he had. It's obvious this man doesn't have any musical limitations so why doesn't he do more of his music? It does bring him back to a mere mortal in my mind that, yes, he came up with a fantastic one of a kind record, but he hasn't done anything in four years to continue his "legacy" or however you wanna call it (I'm bad with words). I know he's done session work and Dizzie Rascal and the Young Punx and all of that but really all of that is completely foreign to what all his fans would like to hear from him. Hope I'm not sounding too harsh, it's not my intention if I am, Guthrie changed my life forever with his music and I would just like to understand him a bit more I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:25 pm 

I think it's taking him so long to record another album because he's so busy with other projects.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:48 pm 

He said that he'd rather write all the songs in one short period this time to make the album more focused, i wouldn't be surprised if hes writing stuff at the moment cause i havent heard much from him for a month or two. Usually he has new live vids popping up on youtube but that hasnt been the case recently.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 962 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 65  Next