DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best Drum Performances by Greatest Drummers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:22 am 

Keith Moon does have a shit ton of unbelievable performances, and should dominate the best performances list far more than he currently does when we rework it. I standby the idea that to make an accurate list, you shouldn't make exceptions. If all the undeniable greatest drum performances in a genre were all done by one guy, then the list should consist of only that guys performances. Luckily that will never be the case but you get my point.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:53 am 

Has to be either Heaven And Hell or Young Man Blues from Live At Leeds for me..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:12 am 

Ariel wrote:
I remember seeing this great vid of Roger turning on the drum track in the studio to Behind Blue Eyes right when it kicks in, and smiling and saying 'fucking brilliant' or something like that. I think that song deserves top 3 or minimum top 5 for Moon

I think he was talking about "My Wife" for that part. They isolate the drums for a fill and Glyn Johns (or maybe it was Bobby Pridden) and Roger Daltrey literally start laughing at how ridiculously awesome it is. Of course, that would work for "Behind Blue Eyes", too. Heck, maybe it's both.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:16 am 

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
I Can See for Miles the drums are definitely the lead instrument, and there's drama and tension building sure, but Won't Get Fooled Again is one of the most creative, challenging, and brilliant performances to ever hit the drums. Talking about drama building Won't Get Fooled does it equally well, not to mention has some of the best fills ever and an unbelievable drum solo. Some of the most sporadic pedal playing I've ever heard, it still amazes me to this day that he came up with such a drum line. I can see for miles is great, but it's not like off beat accents on the snare weren't used before to build drama, the whole accented crescendo snare roles he used were used for ages and were used very often by drummers that Keith named as influences. Even if that's irrelevant to the greatness of the performances, it's a great performance but I don't find snare crescendo's and off beat accents that spectacular. Moon always has a dramatic feel, it's his drumming style. However before Won't Get Fooled Again absolutely nothing like that was done on drums as far as I know, eighth pedals with crescendo rolls and ride cymbal hits on the quarters have been done before, Moon did it really well. Once more, there was nothing like before or after Won't Get Fooled Again, and it's also his most technical performances. As far as I've ever known among drummers that's widely considered his best performances with I can See For Miles maybe 3rd-5th. I just don't find the song particularly special compared to Moon's other catalog. Moon's drums were often the lead instrument, if not the loudest and most prominent in many songs.

Say what you will I stand by that Won't Get Fooled Again is his best performance by leaps and bounds

Okay, you've convinced me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:45 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
ClashWho wrote:
Ariel wrote:
I remember seeing this great vid of Roger turning on the drum track in the studio to Behind Blue Eyes right when it kicks in, and smiling and saying 'fucking brilliant' or something like that. I think that song deserves top 3 or minimum top 5 for Moon

I think he was talking about "My Wife" for that part. They isolate the drums for a fill and Glyn Johns (or maybe it was Bobby Pridden) and Roger Daltrey literally start laughing at how ridiculously awesome it is. Of course, that would work for "Behind Blue Eyes", too. Heck, maybe it's both.

Think he's referring to the Classic Albums for Who's Next.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:36 pm 

I agree Pinball Wizard could be top 10. You say only Moon could approach that song that way, but considering the whole song sounds like it's building (maybe that's because of Moon), I honestly can't see anyone playing the song any other way, but maybe that's because I'm so used to Moon's style. Peart does very similar stuff to ICSFM's intro due to influence from moon, but I still think others could have put that drum line to that song. We can never know though. However no one, even to this day would approach Won't Get Fooled Again like that. To put it bluntly, ICSFM makes so much sense to me drum wise I'd be surprised if people didn't play it like that, including myself, it's a perfect unsurprising approach that works so well with the song, and is such a basic drumline that is used in lots of places that it really doesn't surprise me, what makes it special is Moon's touch. There is no drumline like Won't Get Fooled Again.

I consider Pinball Wizard extraordinarily creative and 'Keith' for lack of a better word, and raise my eyebrow at the idea that it wasn't that creative a performance. Then again, you know the drums, I don't

I standby the idea that to make an accurate list, you shouldn't make exceptions. If all the undeniable greatest drum performances in a genre were all done by one guy, then the list should consist of only that guys performances. Luckily that will never be the case but you get my point.

YES. Thank you. (Except you know this means I'll push hard for lots of Bruford performances in the top 10, ahahahaha)

ClashWho wrote:
Ariel wrote:

Naw man it's Behind Blue Eyes, I'm positive! Great youtube clip btw :smile:

I think Behind Blue Eyes might have the best entering-the-song drum part ever in rock

BTW, saw it on youtube (as I said), but yea I wouldn't be surprised if it comes from "Classic Albums". You like The Who Sherick?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:57 pm 

when did I ever say Pinball Wizard wasn't creative? I consider it a very creative performance...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:58 am 

Sherick wrote:
ClashWho wrote:
Ariel wrote:

Think he's referring to the Classic Albums for Who's Next.

So am I.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:41 am 

I found the "My Wife" one. It's John and Bobby Pridden right at the end of this clip:

:lol:

I'm looking for the "Behind Blue Eyes" one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:56 am 

Here we go, starts at 1:40...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:18 pm 

when did I ever say Pinball Wizard wasn't creative? I consider it a very creative performance...

I thought you were saying it wasn't that creative/out there....maybe you were talking about I Can See For Miles there?

Cf:

I agree Pinball Wizard could be top 10. You say only Moon could approach that song that way, but considering the whole song sounds like it's building (maybe that's because of Moon), I honestly can't see anyone playing the song any other way, but maybe that's because I'm so used to Moon's style. Peart does very similar stuff to ICSFM's intro due to influence from moon, but I still think others could have put that drum line to that song. We can never know though. However no one, even to this day would approach Won't Get Fooled Again like that. To put it bluntly, ICSFM makes so much sense to me drum wise I'd be surprised if people didn't play it like that, including myself, it's a perfect unsurprising approach that works so well with the song, and is such a basic drumline that is used in lots of places that it really doesn't surprise me, what makes it special is Moon's touch. There is no drumline like Won't Get Fooled Again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:19 pm 

ClashWho wrote:

That's it! I didn't even know it was on the dvd. I need to buy that DVD, is it good throughout?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:10 pm 

Was talking about I Can See For Miles, mainly because it's not like off beat accents on snare rolls over 8th bass pedal haven't been done before and forever since like arguably before Earl Palmer started doing straight 8ths.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:13 pm 

Ariel wrote:
ClashWho wrote:

That's it! I didn't even know it was on the dvd. I need to buy that DVD, is it good throughout?

Yeah.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:18 am 

Quote:
Bill Bruford

1. Heart of the Sunrise
2. One More Red Nightmare
3. Indiscipline
4. Close to the Edge
5. South Side of the Sky
6. Red
7. B'Boom
8. Elephant Talk
9. Frame by Frame
10. Lark's Tongue in Aspic, Part 1

This is embarrassing, honestly. :lol:
There is absolutely no reason for Elephant Talk to be on there, that drumming there is about as basic as it gets.
AND, I sincerely think Larks Tongues should be #1. Imo it even surpasses Heart Of The Sunrise. At any rate though, having it at #10 surely is laughable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next