DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Epics
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:27 pm 

Lol at that link.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:02 pm 

Muse - Exogenesis Symphony

Dire Straits - Telegraph Road

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:04 am 

Yeah, those are worthy additions.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:40 pm 

ClashWho wrote:

Sarcasm?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:17 pm 

Stavros678 wrote:
ClashWho wrote:

Sarcasm?

No.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:51 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
Stavros678 wrote:
ClashWho wrote:

Sarcasm?

No.

Sarcasm?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:46 pm 

Exogenesis should at least be added to the honourable mentions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:01 pm 

ignatious wrote:
ClashWho wrote:
Stavros678 wrote:
ClashWho wrote:

Sarcasm?

No.

Sarcasm?

Still no.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:37 pm 

... it is interesting to look at some of these epic tunes and it does seem to get qualified in some small ways when you take older tunes such as the original version of BoRap (38 million), Stairway to Heaven (55 million), Child in Time (13 million) and look at their views in the so called newer media like Youtube as a note/gauge towards their lasting and continuing popularity ... which does count for them truly being epics and no doubt timeless for many a year to another generation of music fans when you come across those classics/epics that exceed 10 million views .... Take care

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:10 pm 

(Sorry if bad English/orthography errors... whatnot.)
Man, greatest list ever! After I listened to the songs on it, I realized that my life was incomplete before... ...kidding, but if anyone were going to make a list of lists, this one would score high, very high.
Some suggestions, though:

- Heavens, how come isn't "Light My Fire" an epic? It fills all the criteria needed... first, the length. The song is seven minutes long, and that's long. It doesn't compares to 30~40-minute songs on this list, but seven minutes are long enough... and in 1967! Most songs in those times would clock at 2 or 3 minutes... It counts. Second, look at how epic is this composition. Now just look (or listen, confused :S). Man, Manzarek just comes in with that organ intro (that makes me smile, seriously) backed with that catchy drum beat (makes me smile too). I can't help but hum along with the organ and nod-nod-nod to the drums. Then, Jim sings two verses; his voice is marvelous! Those verses, though short, are lyrically deep, aren't they? Magnus Opus, by Kansas (#76) has short lyrics too and is ranked pretty high, isn't it? Tubular Bells too (#22), has no lyrics at all! Okay, then-- Oh! The song enters solo mode. And what a solo! Approximately 4 minutes long, the organ fast-paced swoops, that guitar solo... that drumbeat! Wow! (after I finish this post, I gotta hear that song ASAP). The solo, from start to end is awesome! Even its end is awesome, the organ, the guitar and the drums start to synchronize and... It all begins again! Jim sings the second verse first and when he sings the final verse (that is the first) he like, starts to scream... "YOU KNOW THAT IT'D BE UNTRUE!..." "Popularity after release, overlasting popularity?" Charted #1 in tha U.S., ranked #35 on Rolling Stone's list of greatest songs ever! Man, when it ends, it feels like we've returned from a trip!! Seriously... I want to see that song in the list... ranked pretty high!

- Fear Of The Dark, too low! (#159) That song is like, so epic I feel like I am the man walking at a dark road, haunted by the steps behind. Just... the criteria again, it is the longest song by Iron Maiden in the list at 7:16 (excluding of course, "The Rime of The Ancient Mariner" that's using CHEAT CODES!!, and Alexander the Great, down on the list, so, out of the league). Those lyrics... like "Have you ever been alone at night, thought you hear one step behind, you turn around and no one's there? And as you quicken up your pace, you find it hard to look again because you're sure that someone's theeere!". The way Dickison sings! It starts soft, calm, looks like the song is going to be a mellow, dark horror story, then it goes like "HAVE YOU RUN YOUR FINGERS DOWN THE WALL?" Man, that is a exceptional guitar work. Then... the solo! The solo is practically merged into the song, not like "forced solos", in which the music has to stop, and that awkward silence lingers for some time. The song just slowly fades into the solo, that effect is amazing! The solo goes on for two minutes, I think... Then "FEAR OF THE DARK! FEAR OF THE DARK!" that looks just like the ghosts got him and are dragging him away. Oh, Then one more verse (I personally think that's epic, verse, verse, solo and one more power-laden verse!) and it becomes the way it began, soft, mellow... it fades. "Fear of The Dark" is pretty much epic in a nutshell, should I say.

- Lol thanks for putting Child in Time at #3, otherwise, I'd not notice. That song is so special, it (might have) changed my life... man, they made the song, they put it all together, the result was so perfect! R.I.P. Jon Lord. "AAH!"

Only those suggestions. Oh, I would like to post here an epic classic from my country, "Faroeste Caboclo" (Caboclo Western) by Legião Urbana. Clocking at 9 minutes, musically complex, charting high, lyrics talking about the saga of João de Santo Cristo (lit. John o' Holy Christ), slums, crime, love, life and death.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3ewnBFOkME

Yeah Tim. Really, REALLY great work. This list's a pioneer, there aren't a lot of list about epic rock songs out there; and so well built...! Please DON'T stop this project, and if you guys need anything, I'm here now.
Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:51 pm 

List needs more Sparks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:58 pm 

Hm, I dont know if I'd consider Light My Fire an epic.
Close though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:06 pm 

"Achilles Last Stand" at #80?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:42 am 

Rock N Herbs wrote:

Yes, it is.

I mean, do you have, you know, a point? If you think it's too high, or too low, or whatever, say so, and then explain why. Preferably according to the criteria.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm 

Brett Alan wrote:
Rock N Herbs wrote:

Yes, it is.

I mean, do you have, you know, a point? If you think it's too high, or too low, or whatever, say so, and then explain why. Preferably according to the criteria.

I don't I just thought that it should be in the top 50 on an epic list along with "Heart of the Sunrise".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next